Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

DIY Bettie Page fringe/bangs


Hi guys,

I hope you all have been well enjoying the hot weather. Talking about the weather, Summer is the hardest time to keep your hair looking good, you guys know the drama... Summer = humidity, humidity = curls and kinks.

My biggest drama is my fringe! I have a huge 'cow lick' right at the front that makes my hair jump upwards madly. I shouldn't really have a fringe to be honest, is not the most suitable thing for my hair but I love having it and I couldn't not imagine myself without one anymore.
Along the years, I got to know my fringe very well and due so many disasters at the hairdressers I decided that I know best and so I cut my fringe myself! My hairdressers friends laugh at me because it takes me a few cuts to get it right but to be honest it's never right...lol
My fringe has a life of it's own, some days it's fine, others I wake up like Cameron Diaz in Something about Mary. So, I do my cut in stages, which may take me a couple of days.


You guys have commented a lot about my fringe and so that is how it got started, initially I used to wear it straight across and then a few years back, I came across the 'pin up' fringe. I tried it and got hooked on that hairstyle. (because I think it makes my face looks a bit slimmer and less like a chipmunk).
Nowadays quite a few celebrities have had a go on the Bettie Page style, making it more popular.


Burlesque queen Dita, has got it to perfection!

Nicole Scherzinger , has a pretty neat hairstyle going on.

Kate Perry, on the other hand has a fringe a bit like mine.

Beyonce, opted for the easy option, a wig.

Petra Nemcova, has a subtle one.

Sabrina Sato, (Brazilian actress) recently got hugely slated by the Brazilian press because of her new 'bangs'!

Are you feeling inspired?

So, the main and most crucial step for a pin up fringe is obviously to get the shape right. I try to get mine into a soft curve, more or less like a U shape. I visualize this shape and then I am ready for the trimmers. With my hair completely dry, I divide my hair into sections, the first layer is the bottom one, where I'll cut it shorter so when the hair falls on top, I won't get wispy poking out bits at the bottom, then I'll cut the second layer slightly longer than the first one and that's how it goes, you just have to be careful not to go very high on your temples. A tip is to start the cut from the base of the fringe and work upwards towards your temples.



To achieve this look, the easiest way for me is to cut my hair with a pair of mini clippers! It was scary at first but luckily I have never caught my eyebrows.




If you get the shape right, second thing to do is to use some hair straighteners. I decided that I need to make my life easier and tame my hair once for all but if you have no problems with your fringe you can just use them to curly it a bit more for that perfect pin up look.

And finally a good layer of hairspray should hold everything in place, just like in the old 50's.

This is my hairstyle tip for you but whilst browsing around I came across the GHD website which features loads of hairstyle tips, videos and trends. Worth having a look.

See you soon.
x